Interview: Grace Ryan

Meet Grace Ryan, former intern at CLEO magazine, current intern at DOLLY, and editorial coordinator at Recipes+. Despite her enviable resume, she says she never dreamed she'd work in magazines because she wasn't "glamorous enough". I love a chick who's fabulous and down-to-earth!

Keen to find out more? Say hello to Grace on Twitter.


1. Tell us about yourself and why you'd like to work in magazines.

I never knew I wanted to work in magazines. I always thought I’d be more of a hard news journalist, because I thought I wasn’t glamorous enough for magazines and I couldn’t write like that. Then after lots of work experience in the industry I realised that magazines are exactly where I want to be. I can’t picture working anywhere else now (although I’m still not glamorous).

2. How did you apply to become an intern? Did you contact many magazines?

I was really fortunate in my internships. I went down for work experience at Crikey.com in Melbourne and my second cousin (who used to do the advertising there) knew the beauty editor at DOLLY at the time. So she hooked me up with work experience at DOLLY and CLEO. After my work experience I begged them to let me stay. A year and a half later I am still at DOLLY as the online intern and I left CLEO recently because I became the editorial coordinator at a magazine called Recipes+. It’s two days a week so I’m lucky as it fits in with my uni timetable.

3. What was your first day of interning like?

My first day interning was scary, as was my first day as a workie. It took me six months to build my confidence and chat to the girls. But they are so friendly, I think that was just my shy side coming through. I love chatting to them all now. I think it’s so scary at first because it’s a whole new world (and movies like The Devil Wears Prada haven’t helped either!). I just tried to remember I’m only there one day a week, I have to do what I can to make myself known.

4. What did a typical day involve?

I don’t think there is a typical day interning. I remember at CLEO I’d do anything from blowing up globes for shoots to checking out potential bachelors, then transcribing an awesome interview with a celeb. But every week at DOLLY I tend to troll around the gossip sites to see what Biebs or One Direction are up to (tough I know). Then I might make a gallery or a quiz for online. It’s always fun.

5. What have been your best experiences as an intern?

Easy — CLEO Bachelor of the Year. I was lucky because I was one of the interns that was involved the whole way. I got to do photo shoots, media calls and the party. It was hard work but so much fun. And I got to hang out with the bachelors who are all such great guys. I enjoyed it so much I am going to back to help out next year (fingers crossed!!). But I’ve also been lucky enough to experience the DOLLY Model Comp (which was uber exciting) and the Hunger Games premiere to name a few.

6. How would you describe your fashion and beauty style?

Terrible. I love fashion and beauty products but being on a student wage I tend to observe from afar. I really focus on what looks good on me instead of the trends. Once I got a handle on that I was able to intertwine them, so I try to look good and be fashionable. I’ve recently changed my beauty routine because I moved in with my friend who is a make-up artist, but I’m loving the changes. It’s all about what works on you and I think DOLLY and CLEO really encapsulate that.

7. What are your career goals for the future?

Short term, editorial coordinator at a women’s lifestyle magazine. Long term, I would love to be editor or features editor at a magazine I feel really passionate about. Freelancing is also tempting. I really love what Emma Markezic and Zoe Collins do in Cosmo and would love to write like that -- *sigh* one day.

8. What advice would you give to others applying for magazine internships?

Be willing to do the crappy jobs. If you do it with a smile on your face and ask if there is anything else you can do people will remember you. To be picked out from a bunch of other people applying I would do something creative or have a lot of experience, it makes you stand out from a crowd.

2 comments:

  1. Great interview. I remember my first day of interning! Sounds like she's come a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you intern, Sascha? I've never actually done it, but it sounds fantastic -- a whirlwind of premieres and fashion shows and photo shoots with half-naked male models. They wouldn't have to pay me, I'd pay THEM!!!

    I can't get enough of hearing about mag internships and goes on behind the scenes. Becks and the City definitely could do with more intern interviews like Grace's I'm thinking.

    xx
    Becks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...